The Anderson Electric Car was powered by a rechargeable lead acid battery, which was advertised as reliably getting 80 miles (130 km) between battery recharging. With a top speed of about 20 miles per hour (32 km/h), which was considered respectable for city driving, it was marketed to women and professionals who needed a reliable easy use vehicle.
Electric auto at re-charging station. August 25 1919.
Between 1910 and 1920 the high price of gas, and the first world war helped to push production to a peak of between 1000 and 2000 cars a year.
In 1920 the name of the Anderson Carriage company was changed to The Detroit Electric Car Company, with the car maker detaching its body business to a separate entity that became part of Murray Body and the motor/controller business which became Elwell-Parker.
A Detroit Electric automobile stopped on road by burnt-over land, with snow-covered mountain in background, Washington 1919.
The stock market crash of 1929 hit sales hard and the company filed for bankruptcy, some production did continue on a small scale for some years after, with cars being made to orders, The last Detroit Electric being sold in February 1939.
A Detroit Electric automobile on promotional tour through mountains from "Seattle to Mt. Rainier"1919.