Tillamook Rock and lighthouse 1891

Tillamook Rock and lighthouse taken by S. B. Crow, Oregon, 1891.

The lighthouse was built in 1881 and soon nicknamed "Terrible Tilly" after the harsh Pacific storms it endured. Storms continually damaged the structure, leading it to become the most expensive U.S. lighthouse to operate. The lighthouse was finally shut down in 1957 and replaced with a whistle buoy.

No comments: