The presidents office has not always been the Oval Office, it was not until 1909 that William Howard Taft had the interior remodeled, that the oval office was created.
Furnished in the Empire style, the Red Room served as "the President's Anti chamber" for the Cabinet Room or President's Library next door. The room now usually serves as a parlor or sitting room, were recent Presidents have had small dinner parties.
The Green Room was intended by architect James Hoban to be the "Common Dining Room," However, it seems to be the most changeable room in the house. The Green Room has served many purposes since the White House was first occupied in 1800. It was first used as a "Lodging Room.", Thomas Jefferson used it as a dining room, James Madison made it a sitting room while Monroe used it as the "Card Room" for guests to play whist.
The State Dining Room was originally much smaller and served at various times as a drawing room, office, and Cabinet Room. It was not until the Andrew Jackson administration that it was called the "State Dining Room."
The Blue Room was first referred to as such when the room was painted blue during the Van Buren administration in 1837. It has always been used as a reception room, except for a time during the administration of John Adams, when it was used as the south entrance hall. The room, originally designed by Benjamin Latrobe, had a suite of classical-revival furniture, bought during the Madison administration, but they were destroyed in the fire of 1814.
The East Room was designated by architect James Hoban as the "Public Audience Room." It normally contains little furniture and traditionally is used for large gatherings, such as dances, after-dinner entertainments, concerts, weddings, funerals, award presentations, press conferences, and bill-signing ceremonies.
The East Room, White House 1904.
During the Theodore Roosevelt Administration, this room became the scene of some unusual activities, including a wrestling match arranged to entertain some 50 to 60 guests of the President. The exuberant Roosevelt children are also known to have used the East Room for roller-skating.